While cramming for subjects, i usually use a couple youtube channels that has concise information about topics. One of my favourite channel is BrightStorm2 which has a range of topics in biology,chemistry,physics and math. The following is a video from their channel on Enzymes:
Summary of the video:
The lecturer talked about enzymes being a protein catalyst, having a substrate specific active site, induced fit theory, and the effect of pH and temperature.
- Firstly, i thought that the video was concise, but filled with enough information to give you a general idea of Enzymes.
- His animated voice kept your attention throughout the entire video.
- The use of a diagram of an Energy vs Time graph on the white board gave you a visual understanding of how enzymes work as a catalyst and lowers activation energy and speeds up the rate of reaction.
- The use of main points on the white board also gave a visual of the main characteristic of Enzymes that should be known. these main points were also discussed in the video: Protein catalyst, active site, specific to substrate, induced fit theory, pH and temperature.
- The use of the scissors gave a real life application and therefore better understanding of enzymes being a catalyst and the active site being substrate specific.
- The use of assistant Laura also gave the video an added touch of familiarity and proved that enzymes act as catalyst and make reactions easier to occur.
- Diagram of induced fit theory gave a visual, hence better understanding of how the theory works.
However, the video can be improved in multiple ways:
- The video could have been edited so that Laura ripped the paper correctly the first time, proving that enzymes make reactions occur easier.
- Other topics such as Inhibition, Nomenclature, Enzyme classes, Inorganic catalyst vs biological catalyst, M-M equation, Line-weaver Burk plot and Allosteric enzymes could have been covered. This could have given the video a sense of depth instead of a general idea. In this way, students at university level would find the video very useful.
- Other graphs such as pH and temperature graphs could have been used.
- pH and temperature effect on enzymes could have been explained more, instead of simply mentioned.
In conclusion, i believe the video is best for cramming purposes, because it give a general sense of Enzymes and their characteristics.